Two dead in botched robbery


A man and a woman were charged with first degree murder and home invasion in connection with the fatal stabbing of two people at about 11:20 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5, at a residence in the 5800 block of North Mobile Avenue, according to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.

The suspects were identified by the state’s attorney’s office as Brittney Mitchell, age 18, of the 4700 block of North Lamon Avenue, and Orhan Cerimagic, age 22, of the 6200 block of North Hoyne Avenue.

According to the state’s attorney’s office, Mitchell allegedly plotted to rob an acquaintance of drugs with Cerimagic and his brother, Miran, age 20, and a third man who was not charged in the case.

The resident of the home who was killed was identified by the state’s attorney’s office as Desmond Gunawardana, age 35. The man died from multiple stab wounds to the head and neck, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

During the robbery, Miran Cerimagic, also of the 6200 block of North Hoyne Avenue, was wounded by Gunawardana, and he died at Swedish Covenant Hospital, the state’s attorney’s office said.

Mitchell allegedly made plans with the resident to meet at about 10 p.m. Friday, while the two brothers and the third man waited in a car about a block away, according to the state’s attorney’s office. Once inside the residence, Mitchell unlocked the back door and sent a text message informing Orhan Cerimagic that the door was unlocked, authorities said.

Miran Cerimagic and the third man entered the home armed with a gun and zip ties, and a struggle ensued between Gunawardana and Miran Cerimagic, the state’s attorney’s office said. The two men grabbed knives and stabbed each other multiple times, and Gunawardana died in the kitchen, authorities said.

Following the botched robbery, the three drove Miran Cerimagic to Swedish Covenant Hospital, where he died, police said. Following an investigation, Mitchell allegedly admitted her involvement in the robbery, and officers found a text message on Orhan Cerimagic’s phone stating that the back door was unlocked, the state’s attorney said.

A surveillance video from the hospital shows Orhan Cerimagic driving away after dropping off his brother, the state’s attorney’s office said.

The two were ordered held without bond, and their next court date is scheduled for Sept. 26.