‘Jefferson’ dog statue unveiled at 16th District police station
by BRIAN NADIG
A new police canine statue that pays tribute to officers and the Northwest Side community was unveiled at a ceremony on April 20 at the 16th (Jefferson Park) District Police station, 5151 N. Milwaukee Ave.
"Most importantly, depicted on the statue is the likeness of our fallen heroes," district commander William Looney said of the seven district officers who have been killed in the line of duty.
Those officers are Charles Jones in 1912, Charles Larson in 1917, Harry Crowley in 1924, Edward Dean in 1925, Thomas Kehoe in 1927, James Farley 1927 and William Morrison in 1987. Members of Morrison’s family assisted with the unveiling of the 54-inch-tall fiberglass dog, named "Jefferson."
Artist and police officer Peter Bucks was commissioned to decorate the statue, which includes depictions of area neighborhoods and district stations. They include the original station (formerly the 36th Precinct) at 3975 N. Milwaukee Ave. in 1892 and the previous station that was located at 5430 W. Gale St. from 1922 to 2000.
District officers have raised $2,200 for the cost of the statue, with an additional $300 donated by the Garrido Stray Rescue Foundation. District lieutenant John Garrido and his wife Anna recently founded the organization, which provides medical care and temporary homes for stray dogs.
The district’s statue is part of a citywide "K-9s for Cops" public art program sponsored by the Chicago Police Memorial Fund and PAWS Chicago. About 200 statues are planned, and they will eventually be sold as part of a fund-raiser for both groups.