Demolition of former DiLeo’s restaurant site at Central & Elston avenues to resume next week, Ald. Gardiner reports 

by BRIAN NADIG

The demolition of the former DiLeo’s restaurant/bank at Central and Elston avenues, where a developer has sought to build apartments, is scheduled to resume Monday, May 16, following numerous delays, according to Alderman Jim Gardiner (45th).

The building has sat partially demolished since late 2020. In recent months the site has been marked by vandalism, including graffiti and a broken window, and residents have complained of trash accumulating on the parcel.

Project attorney John Pikarski Jr. said earlier this year that concerns about asbestos on the site led to the delays and that obtaining an EPA permit can be a lengthy process.

Crews were seen working on the site a couple of of months ago, but work reportedly was halted again due an environmental issue.

“Now that all IPA requirements have been satisfied, Brandenburg is expected to complete the demolition by June 9th, 2022,” Gardiner said in a flier he distributed last week to area homes.

“I want to ensure residents, updated development plans have not been submitted to my office. Once those plans are submitted, my office will undoubtedly share
them with neighbors, community groups and the general public to gain feedback,” Gardiner added.

Last summer, citing concerns about the condition of the property, the Gladstone Park Neighborhood Association withdrew its letter of no objection to a proposal for the site calling for a 40-unit apartment building. The proposal included three floors of residential units, a 40-space underground parking garage and 21 outdoor spaces.

The association previously stated that final support would be contingent on a community meeting being held and the developer addressing other concerns raised by the community, according to association president Joe DiCiaula. However, the meeting was never held due to the demolition delays.

An earlier proposal for the site had called for a taller building, with 52 apartments and commercial space. Many residents had raised concerns about the 2019 proposal at an association meeting, and the developer addressed some of those concerns in the 2021 proposal, including the elimination of studio units and storefronts from the plan, DiCiaula said.

Digital Edition No Pop-Ups

Weekly Digital Edition

Read every story. Skip every pop-up.

Get the full weekly edition delivered to your inbox — no interruptions, no waiting. Just local news the way it was meant to be read.

Only $19.50/year — less than 38¢ a week Subscribe Now

This is just part of today’s coverage. Get the full story - every article, every ad, every page. Subscribe now.

The Latest From Our Community

 





Photo by SumUp No Pop-Ups

Weekly Digital Edition

Read every story.
Skip every pop-up.

No pop-up ads — ever. Just stories, the way they were meant to be read

Full weekly edition delivered to your inbox every week — no waiting, no missing issues

Support local journalism and help keep our community connected

Only $19.50/year

That's less than 38¢ a week

Purchase Digital Subscription

Paypal

$19.50

/year

You can submit your payment via Paypal with a Credit Card. You DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT.. Just click the “Paypal Subscribe” button below to iniate your secure payment! You will be directed to a Secure Paypal page in which you can pay with a Paypal account if you have one, or you can select "Pay with Debit or Credit Cardt" option below and process your payment via credit card.

Venmo

$19.50

/year

You can submit payment of $19.50 for a 1 year subscription to Nadig Newspapers' Venmo account using this link. Please include the email address in the comment/note section that you would like the digital subscription sent to.