Park district removes several abandoned tents from Gompers Park as part of monthly cleanup

by BRIAN NADIG

City workers on Feb. 19 removed three reportedly abandoned tents and a stovepipe from recently installed yurts at Gompers Park, 4222 W. Foster Ave., as part of a regularly scheduled cleanup of the homeless encampment.

Tents considered abandoned are tagged with a 7-day notice before they are removed. This practice has been ongoing at the park for more than a year as part of regular maintenance, city officials said. No one living at the park was removed or forced to leave, officials said. Many empty tents have been removed before by the park district.

Last week an out-of-state organization came to Gompers and installed about five yurts, which have more fortification than tents and were equipped with stoves and smokestack structures. The Chicago Park District reportedly is considering the removal of the yurts, which could occur later this month.

Alderman Samantha Nugent (39th) issued the following statement:

“The off-street cleaning that took place today was part of the scheduled monthly cleanings at Gompers Park. The cleanings remove garbage and items not in use by encampment residents. Occupied tents or items being used are not removed.

“Off-street cleanings, like the one that happened this morning, have been happening at Gompers Park for over a year. Signs are posted at least 7 days in advance of each cleaning.

“Since September 2024, Crisis Assistance Response and Engagement and opioid response teams have been visiting Gompers Park, including on cleaning dates. These teams include EMTs, social workers and recovery coaches. Department of Family and Support Services Homeless Outreach and Prevention teams have been helping people living at Gompers find housing,” Nugent said.

Three recent tent fires along with several reported attacks by pit bulls on other dogs being walked in the area has led to renewed efforts to have the city find housing for those living at the park and to start enforcing the park’s 11 p.m. curfew. The Gompers Park Athletic Association announced that it will relocate its games and practices that are scheduled for the renovated field at Little Gompers due to safety concerns.

The city had planned to hold an “Accelerated Moving Event” the last week of February, but it was delayed to Wednesday, March 5. Residents will be able to choose furniture for the housing options they are offered.

Mayor Brandon Johnson’s office has said that the AME should not be viewed as a closure of the encampment, as those remaining would not be forced to leave. However, the city has shut down encampments at other parks following a series of AMEs.

Housing advocates have called for the opening of homeless shelters on the Northwest Side and the construction of more affordable housing. 

At the City Council’s Feb. 19 meeting, representatives of the Restore Gompers Park Coalition and the athletic association called for increased efforts to find housing for those at the park and to increase safety there.

At the council meeting, coalition member Lisa Stringer read a statement from a resident who said that her family was victim of a violent dog attack at the park.

“Almost two weeks ago on Sunday, February 9, I was on a walk in Gompers Park with my spouse, a friend, senior dog Nala, and 3-week-old baby when we were attacked by an off-leash dog. I had read about this dog on neighborhood community forums as early as Dec. 20, when David Bentley posted the video of his similar attack on Pulaski (Road). And just the night before, I had seen a community member warn that this same dog had attacked at least three other dogs/humans, all of whom filed police reports to no avail. 

 “So, when I saw a dog matching the description near the encampment, I tensed up. Seconds later, the dog was sprinting towards us from about 100 feet away. My friend just had enough time to put herself between the dog and our infant, but I couldn’t pick up my dog Nala in time to keep the off-leash dog from latching onto her backside. It took my spouse plus three men from the encampment several minutes to pry the attacking dog off Nala. The whole time, I held Nala’s face and tried to keep her calm as she yelped in pain. 

 “When the four men eventually managed to restrain the attacking dog, I rushed Nala to the emergency vet where she received extensive treatment for her wounds. Her overnight stay and follow-up visits cost $4,469 so far—though, bottom line, we are thankful she is still with us.”

Also at the meeting, a coalition member said that ball players last year were subject to heckling from some of those at the encampment and that there was “nudity and erotic behavior” on display. 

A video of the attack from Bentley from November can be found here. The white pit bull runs across Pulaski Road at Bentley and his dog and he falls to the ground and tries to contain the pit bull from harming his dog. Eventually people from the park come to get the dog.

“I was the victim in November. CPD will do nothing. Animal control will do nothing. The alderman’s office will do nothing,” Bentley posted on the Gompers Park Advisory Council’s Facebook page earlier this month.

Cyryl Jakubowski contributed.

 

Digital Edition No Pop-Ups

Weekly Digital Edition

Read every story. Skip every pop-up.

Get the full weekly edition delivered to your inbox — no interruptions, no waiting. Just local news the way it was meant to be read.

Only $19.50/year — less than 38¢ a week Subscribe Now

This is just part of today’s coverage. Get the full story - every article, every ad, every page. Subscribe now.

The Latest From Our Community

 





Photo by SumUp No Pop-Ups

Weekly Digital Edition

Read every story.
Skip every pop-up.

No pop-up ads — ever. Just stories, the way they were meant to be read

Full weekly edition delivered to your inbox every week — no waiting, no missing issues

Support local journalism and help keep our community connected

Only $19.50/year

That's less than 38¢ a week

Purchase Digital Subscription

Paypal

$19.50

/year

You can submit your payment via Paypal with a Credit Card. You DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT.. Just click the “Paypal Subscribe” button below to iniate your secure payment! You will be directed to a Secure Paypal page in which you can pay with a Paypal account if you have one, or you can select "Pay with Debit or Credit Cardt" option below and process your payment via credit card.

Venmo

$19.50

/year

You can submit payment of $19.50 for a 1 year subscription to Nadig Newspapers' Venmo account using this link. Please include the email address in the comment/note section that you would like the digital subscription sent to.