A private security guard working at the Jefferson Park CTA Terminal, 4917 N. Milwaukee Ave., reportedly returned fire after a group of three people started harassing him and then fired read story
Taft mulls removal of metal detectors
by BRIAN NADIG
Taft High School principal Mark Grishaber wants the local school council to consider removing metal detectors from the school and eliminating class rankings.
"I think it leaves a bad image when people enter," Grishaber said of the detectors. Grishaber made his comments at the June 14 meeting of the Taft High School Local School Council. He told the LSC that he "just wanted to plant the seeds" for future discussions on the issue.
"I’d like to hear the pros and cons," LSC chairwoman Lisa Schwieger said.
The metal detectors are inside the school’s main entrance on Bryn Mawr Avenue, but in recent months they have not be used to conduct searches. It is not feasible to conduct proper searches and to expect that all students would get through security in time for class, Grishaber said.
Former Taft principal Arthur Tarvardian said at an LSC meeting several years ago that even with the use of metal detectors, safety at a school the size of Taft can never be guaranteed given the number of unmonitored doors and windows throughout the building.
Grishaber said after the meeting that the detectors "give a false sense of security."
Mather and Disney II Magnet high schools do not use metal detectors, and there are other high schools with open campuses that use them in the morning but not in the afternoon when students are returning from lunch, Grishaber said.
Grishaber also said that class rankings may not adequately reflect a student’s academic accomplishments and that it may be time for Taft to join the growing number of schools that have abolished class rankings, which are based on grade point averages. He said that Young High School, where he previously worked as an assistant principal, eliminated class rankings more than 10 years ago and that colleges no longer require class rankings on admission applications.
Many suburban school districts have eliminated class rankings over concerns that that they generated too much competition among students and that in some instances they were hurting college acceptance chances because a student could be ranked in the bottom half of their class despite being on the honor roll with a "B" average.
Also at the meeting, Athletics Committee chairman Joe McFeely reported that an increasing number of the top eighth grade athletes in the area are choosing to attend Taft rather than a Catholic or selective enrollment high school. Taft won nine conference championships in the past school year.
It also was announced that Taft will return about $197,000 from its student-based budget to the Chicago Public Schools due to the school system’s budget problems. Earlier in the year each school was given a "suggested savings" amount that it was expected not to spend.
Grishaber said that Chicago Public Schools network chiefs monitored spending in an effort to make sure that each school could meet its savings goal. He said that Taft was prohibited from replacing a security guard to help the school meet its goal.
It is not known when schools will receive their student-based budgets for the 2016-17 school year, Grishaber said.
The school also plans to consider forming a support group for students with an alcohol or drug addiction. Grishaber said that he would like an older teen who has overcome an addiction to lead the workshops and that the workshops possibly could be offered during the school day to make it convenient for students to participate.
The council has not set a date for its next meeting, but it plans to hold its annual organizational meeting in early July.
Weekly Digital Edition
Read every story. Skip every pop-up.
Get the full weekly edition delivered to your inbox — no interruptions, no waiting. Just local news the way it was meant to be read.
This is just part of today’s coverage. Get the full story - every article, every ad, every page. Subscribe now.
The Latest From Our Community
A man was stabbed in his hand at about 4:50 a.m. Monday, Aug. 10, on a CTA Blue Line train near the Harlem station, 5550 N. Harlem Ave., after a read story
by BRIAN NADIG 45th Ward Democratic Committeeperson Michael Rabbitt and his Dems 45 organization have endorsed Jefferson Park resident S Gronkiewicz-Doran in the ward’s aldermanic race, which will be held read story
by BRIAN NADIG A new business, possibly a daycare, is in the works for the former CVS Pharmacy at the southeast corner of Milwaukee and Lawrence avenues. The pharmacy closed read story
by BRIAN NADIG A possible suspect is in custody after gunfire was reported at or near the Jefferson Park CTA Terminal, 4917 N. Milwaukee Ave., at about 5:20 a.m. Saturday, read story
by BRIAN NADIG A luxury hotel and spa for cats is planned for a vacant one-story office building at 5510 W. Montrose Ave. in the Jefferson-Portage Park area. Local resident read story
Browse by Category
Weekly Digital Edition
Read every story.
Skip every pop-up.
No pop-up ads — ever. Just stories, the way they were meant to be read
Full weekly edition delivered to your inbox every week — no waiting, no missing issues
Support local journalism and help keep our community connected
Only $19.50/year
That's less than 38¢ a week
Purchase Digital Subscription
Paypal
$19.50
/year
You can submit your payment via Paypal with a Credit Card. You DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT.. Just click the “Paypal Subscribe” button below to iniate your secure payment! You will be directed to a Secure Paypal page in which you can pay with a Paypal account if you have one, or you can select "Pay with Debit or Credit Cardt" option below and process your payment via credit card.
Venmo
$19.50
/year
You can submit payment of $19.50 for a 1 year subscription to Nadig Newspapers' Venmo account using this link. Please include the email address in the comment/note section that you would like the digital subscription sent to.